The Homestead

The homestead has came a long way since we first started thinking of it. After years of working and learning, we decided to make the move. We left good jobs, with enough money in the bank to buy a small piece of property and build a shelter. We found just the right spot, at least one we both agreed on, and settled down. After several months of living in a tent, we finally had the first building to a point it could be occupied. We had a roof, a floor and tarp walls. The well was in and there was finally electric to the place. It was such an exciting moment to turn on a faucet and see good, clear, safe water flow into a bucket.


Work continued on the building, siding was installed, interior walls went up, electrical was roughed in as well as the plumbing for the kitchen and the long awaited bathroom. I remembered the outhouse runs from my younger days, but I don't seem to remember it quite the same now that I'm older.


Work continued, and the house took shape. We wound up with an appartment that has 768 sq ft. It consist of a bedroom, livingroom/kitchen combo, bathroom, utility room and a small pantry. It is real cozy and easy to heat with our wood fired cook stove.







Thursday, December 22, 2011

The weather has been yuck for the last few days. The woodpile hasn't had time to dry out. I did manage to cut a little wood, enough to keep the home fires burning, for now.  The weather guesser's are calling for nice weather starting tomorrow. We will see.  Been working at the neighbors some. He went to town today with a list, yes the dreaded list, for plumbing parts. I hope we can get a lot of it installed tomorrow, I would like to cut wood Saturday if possible.  Monday I know we are going to pick up his washer and dryer, so that day will be shot, as far as cutting wood. The boss will be back Tuesday evening, guess that means a house cleaning party lol and keeping close to the phone.

1 comment: