The Homestead
The homestead has came a long way since we first started thinking of it. After years of working and learning, we decided to make the move. We left good jobs, with enough money in the bank to buy a small piece of property and build a shelter. We found just the right spot, at least one we both agreed on, and settled down. After several months of living in a tent, we finally had the first building to a point it could be occupied. We had a roof, a floor and tarp walls. The well was in and there was finally electric to the place. It was such an exciting moment to turn on a faucet and see good, clear, safe water flow into a bucket.
Work continued on the building, siding was installed, interior walls went up, electrical was roughed in as well as the plumbing for the kitchen and the long awaited bathroom. I remembered the outhouse runs from my younger days, but I don't seem to remember it quite the same now that I'm older.
Work continued, and the house took shape. We wound up with an appartment that has 768 sq ft. It consist of a bedroom, livingroom/kitchen combo, bathroom, utility room and a small pantry. It is real cozy and easy to heat with our wood fired cook stove.
Work continued on the building, siding was installed, interior walls went up, electrical was roughed in as well as the plumbing for the kitchen and the long awaited bathroom. I remembered the outhouse runs from my younger days, but I don't seem to remember it quite the same now that I'm older.
Work continued, and the house took shape. We wound up with an appartment that has 768 sq ft. It consist of a bedroom, livingroom/kitchen combo, bathroom, utility room and a small pantry. It is real cozy and easy to heat with our wood fired cook stove.
Thursday, January 5, 2012
Another beautiful day in the Ozarks. It was 63 and sunny, my kind of weather. The sawmill delivered 4 bunks of firewood today. I put this load by the back greenhouse, since that's where it will be used. Claygirl and I cut and stacked wood for the house. That seems to be a never ending project, with getting ready to fire up the front greenhouse. Claygirl has been busy going through her seed inventory, figuring out what we need to put up in the pantry, and what we will need to do the market this year. I have all but given up on finding a "real" job, so it looks like all efforts will go into growing again. I hope to get the big garden plowed while we still have good weather. The smaller ones, I can work up with a tiller if need be. The onions and leeks that were planted last fall are looking good. This is the first time we have used a seeder to plant onions or leeks, so it has been a learning adventure. I think next time I will tape off every other hole on the seed plate, since I have onions coming up an inch apart. The leeks are the same way. We may transplant some of the onions and leeks to give them room to grow, and then we may just pull some as green onions, not sure yet what we will do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'll just keep planting seedlings for the greenhouse, and extras for you to try in your system in the back. Excited to see how it all turns out. (Claygirl)
ReplyDelete