The Homestead
The homestead has came a long way since we first started thinking of it. After years of working and learning, we decided to make the move. We left good jobs, with enough money in the bank to buy a small piece of property and build a shelter. We found just the right spot, at least one we both agreed on, and settled down. After several months of living in a tent, we finally had the first building to a point it could be occupied. We had a roof, a floor and tarp walls. The well was in and there was finally electric to the place. It was such an exciting moment to turn on a faucet and see good, clear, safe water flow into a bucket.
Work continued on the building, siding was installed, interior walls went up, electrical was roughed in as well as the plumbing for the kitchen and the long awaited bathroom. I remembered the outhouse runs from my younger days, but I don't seem to remember it quite the same now that I'm older.
Work continued, and the house took shape. We wound up with an appartment that has 768 sq ft. It consist of a bedroom, livingroom/kitchen combo, bathroom, utility room and a small pantry. It is real cozy and easy to heat with our wood fired cook stove.
Work continued on the building, siding was installed, interior walls went up, electrical was roughed in as well as the plumbing for the kitchen and the long awaited bathroom. I remembered the outhouse runs from my younger days, but I don't seem to remember it quite the same now that I'm older.
Work continued, and the house took shape. We wound up with an appartment that has 768 sq ft. It consist of a bedroom, livingroom/kitchen combo, bathroom, utility room and a small pantry. It is real cozy and easy to heat with our wood fired cook stove.
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
A beautiful day today, 58 and sunny. I love this weather, but it is going to rain tonight. The weather guessers are calling for about 2 inches before it quits Thursday evening. I did get more wood cut today and filled the wood bin inside for the big stove and the cook stove. We have started heating the front greenhouse now, so I will go through a lot more wood. I moved the back up wood heater to the back greenhouse today. I will try to get the flue pipe ran as soon as it dries out. I have a large outdoor wood furnace set and ready to go but, not sure it will keep the greenhouse the 70 degrees I need on those real cold nights. I would rather be safe and have backup ready if needed as to wish I had it. There is too much work and dollars invested to let it get to cold.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you'll be glad the 2nd back up wood heater is in there. Just to be on the safe side!
ReplyDelete