The Homestead
The homestead has came a long way since we first started thinking of it. After years of working and learning, we decided to make the move. We left good jobs, with enough money in the bank to buy a small piece of property and build a shelter. We found just the right spot, at least one we both agreed on, and settled down. After several months of living in a tent, we finally had the first building to a point it could be occupied. We had a roof, a floor and tarp walls. The well was in and there was finally electric to the place. It was such an exciting moment to turn on a faucet and see good, clear, safe water flow into a bucket.
Work continued on the building, siding was installed, interior walls went up, electrical was roughed in as well as the plumbing for the kitchen and the long awaited bathroom. I remembered the outhouse runs from my younger days, but I don't seem to remember it quite the same now that I'm older.
Work continued, and the house took shape. We wound up with an appartment that has 768 sq ft. It consist of a bedroom, livingroom/kitchen combo, bathroom, utility room and a small pantry. It is real cozy and easy to heat with our wood fired cook stove.
Work continued on the building, siding was installed, interior walls went up, electrical was roughed in as well as the plumbing for the kitchen and the long awaited bathroom. I remembered the outhouse runs from my younger days, but I don't seem to remember it quite the same now that I'm older.
Work continued, and the house took shape. We wound up with an appartment that has 768 sq ft. It consist of a bedroom, livingroom/kitchen combo, bathroom, utility room and a small pantry. It is real cozy and easy to heat with our wood fired cook stove.
Thursday, April 18, 2013
It's been a long winter, a time when I would normally sit and reflect on the farm, but that hasn't happened. I seem to find myself busier than ever. The Aquaponics has kept me hoping, just cutting wood and keeping the fires burning. I have supplied the neighborhood with fresh produce all winter. It has been a learning time for me. I am not going to be planting near as much soil garden this year that's for sure. I seem to be able to keep us in fresh veggies all winter, so I don't think we will be canning as much. We have dehydrated so much stuff, room is an issue. I will keep ya posted as we go forward. I do have a big hole in the yard where the root/storm shelter is going. Hopefully we won't need it till its built, and then only for roots.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Where you been oletimer? It's been a while. God bless you and yours. Take care.
ReplyDeleteBeen dealing with a lot of things. Hopefully they are behind us now and can get back in the swing of things. There is a whole lot of things to get caught up on. Thanks for checking in.
Delete