The Homestead

The homestead has came a long way since we first started thinking of it. After years of working and learning, we decided to make the move. We left good jobs, with enough money in the bank to buy a small piece of property and build a shelter. We found just the right spot, at least one we both agreed on, and settled down. After several months of living in a tent, we finally had the first building to a point it could be occupied. We had a roof, a floor and tarp walls. The well was in and there was finally electric to the place. It was such an exciting moment to turn on a faucet and see good, clear, safe water flow into a bucket.


Work continued on the building, siding was installed, interior walls went up, electrical was roughed in as well as the plumbing for the kitchen and the long awaited bathroom. I remembered the outhouse runs from my younger days, but I don't seem to remember it quite the same now that I'm older.


Work continued, and the house took shape. We wound up with an appartment that has 768 sq ft. It consist of a bedroom, livingroom/kitchen combo, bathroom, utility room and a small pantry. It is real cozy and easy to heat with our wood fired cook stove.







Wednesday, November 7, 2012

There hasn't been a lot going on this summer, except the heat and drought. We lost the corn crop, and the potatoes. Everything else seemed to do alright. We did have a killer crop of onions though. We grew a new squash, called upper ground sweet potatoe and they got huge. One was over 26 pounds. It took a lot of careful watering, using soaker hoses instead of overhead sprinklers, but we did manage to get enough harvested to get us through the winter.
I have been digging the hole for the storm shelter. That has been a challenge. I made it down almost 7 feet before hitting a rock shelf. Now I just need to keep working on making the hole bigger. The few rain showers we have had lately have helped to soften the ground, so digging is a little easier. I would like to make it large enough to use as a root cellar, and storm shelter if possible. It will have to hold the 8 adults that are here, and crops, so it is going to be interesting. Cutting wood is going to be needed to be done soon. The saw mill is delivering the bunks of slabs this week, I hope. If not, it will be a trip to the timber to cut up some dead fall.
The elections are finally over. Hope that means a break from all the calls wanting our vote lol. All we can do now is pray for our country to survive another 4 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment